On this page, you can find out about registering to vote in Northern Ireland.
Register to vote
The deadline to register to vote for the EU Referendum is 7 June 2016.
Or you can call the helpline on 0800 4320 712.
The referendum on the United Kingdom's membership of the European Union is on Thursday 23 June 2016.
You can find more information about the EU Referendum and how to have your say on our EU Referendum microsite.
- If you are a voter living within the UK, visit our 'UK voter' page.
- If you are a voter living overseas, visit our 'overseas voter' page.
- If you are in the armed forces, visit our 'service voter' page.
You can also read our EU Referendum FAQs.
Applying for a postal or proxy vote
To apply for a postal or proxy vote, visit the website of the Electoral Office for Northern Ireland.
The deadline to apply for a postal or proxy vote for the EU Referendum is 5pm on 3 June 2016.
Don't forget your photo ID
When you go to your polling station on election day don't forget to bring a correct form of photo ID. Without it you won't be able to vote!
The following forms of ID can be accepted at the polling station:
- A UK or Irish passport
- A UK, Irish or EEA driving licence
- A Translink Senior Smartpass
- A Translink 60+ Smartpass
- A Translink War Disabled Smartpass
- A Translink Blind Person's Smartpass
- An Electoral Identity Card
The identification does not need to be 'current' but the presiding officer at the polling station must be satisfied that the photograph matches that of the person intending to vote.
No other form of photo ID can be accepted at the polling station. This includes ID such as work passes or parking blue badges.
For more information on applying for an electoral ID card, visit http://www.eoni.org.uk/Electoral-Identity-Card/How-to-apply or call 0800 4320 712.