Service voters

On this page you can find the answers to frequently asked questions about registering as a service voter.

I am in the Armed Forces living in the UK. How do I register to vote in UK elections?

If you are service personnel or a partner of service personnel, you have the option of making a Service Declaration or you can choose to register to vote in the traditional way.

Find out more and register to vote at

I am in the Armed Forces. What methods of voting in UK elections are available to me?

Service voters and their husbands, wives or civil partners can vote in person or can opt to vote by post or proxy (someone voting on your behalf).

Postal votes may only be sent out about a week before election day. If you are living abroad, it may be better to appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf as there may not be enough time for your postal vote to reach you and be sent back before voting closes

If you want to vote by post or by proxy you must be registered to vote.

To check if you're correctly registered, contact the local authority of the address you are registered to. To find their contact details, enter your postcode in the 'Your local area' section of our homepage.

Find out more about voting by post

Find out more about voting by proxy